Terrible shots of heavily injured horses after Kokpar and Baiga, posted this summer in social media from different part of country will make people think and get angry by this.
Happening in our country – in Kazakhstani soil where the horse is historically more respected than other domesticated animals in the world.
With these questions – why the horses are dying or get injured and is there an exit from such situation we have addressed to Daniyar Daukey, the director of Almaty branch of Kokpar.
More than 15 years Daniyar is engaging by the Kazkakh Karabair breeding – the horse especially created for our conditions.
|Extreme sport Kazakh national equestrian sports are a very extreme occupation,” says Daniyar Daukei. – Sport is not for every man and not for every horse. Let’s start with a little digression. After the detour of young horses from two years old, they run to Kunan Baiga, this is a race for a distance of 6 to 10 km, then a horse (from three years and older) can participate in Alaman baiga. The distances of 42 and 51 kilometers are usually used. Rarely races for 100 kilometers. Further the difficult game for the horse and the rider is Kokpar. There were two options for the game. In the first case, two riders joined the struggle, in the second – two teams, exposed by different villages and clans. The goal in both cases is to be the first to bring the goat carcass to the appointed place. Daniyar what is your opinion on today’s situation of national games?|
|Unfortunately, most of the traditions of games are now forgotten, yes, we know how to hold them, but on which horse? Many people buy English horses for baiga. Yes, this is a fast race horse, but at short distances, from 1.5 km to 3.5 km. This all what this horse is capable, its caractheristics were sharpened for these distances during 300 years! Many people buy English horses for baiga. Yes, this is a fast race horse, but at short distances, from 1.5 km to 3.5 km. Everything she is not capable of, she was sharpened for these distances for 300 years! English racing horse has already lost those of their initial abilities of the Kazakh horse … And they buy it and bring it to us. Nobody cares that the horse is not meant for our severe games! Yes, for sports competitions – Alaman Baiga has now been reduced from 51 km to 18–25 km. But this is a lot for the English racing horse. Animals quickly expire, because of this, doping comes to the world of Kazakh equestrian sport. Doping is essentially a drug, it spoils the heart of a horse. Yes, and our racetracks for the most part are not designed for such horses. English racing horse all life went on a special flooring, but what about us? And in our case they literally break their legs!|
- In such conditions only our horses which grew up in a herd can work in real conditions of real life.
Fans of English breeds, put in order our racetrack, arrange there jumps on a good surface! And you satisfaction, and horses a normal life. Almana Baiga – Kazakh game for Kazakh horses!
- Daniyar, and in the rules of the Kokpar there is no point, which would say on what horses should the riders be? Why are the riders in English racing not removed from the competition, knowing that knowing that participation in competitions will cause irreparable harm to the health of these animals?
- Unfortunately, this item is not in the rules, but it would be very accurate and humane. Now we are working on the problem of using foreign horse breeds in Kokpar, and I hope that this issue will be solved soon.
- Many in the world consider Kokpar a very cruel game, how do you think?
- This is not a cruel, but an extreme game. Traditionally, Kokpar was held with the participation of goat carcasses, but the head and legs were cut off in advance, and served in kuyrdak. And the fact that after any games, according to information of caring people, heads and hooves are scattered around the field – this is vandalism. Yes, the organizers of such games are vandals. This is a disregard for traditions.
Moreover, even the carcass after the kokpar is not thrown away, but is served to the honorable aksakals as the best dish. You imagine what a top-notch chop is obtained. However, this version of the game is popular. Now they want to develop Kokpar sportive. Since this is a sport, the goat carcass should be replaced. After all, football was also played with a cabbage before, and now with a ball of modern polymers. Honoring the tradition, do not forget that we still live in the modern world. Kokpar game in team is an international game, only with a maket of goat. The Federation plans to approve its maket, which we have been testing for 1.5 years and to legitimize the fact that the Kokpar is a game for the Kazakh Karabair. For our horse – this is not a test, as for the English racing horse, but an ordinary game.
- Daniyar, please tell us about the breeds of horses you are engaging in. How long ago? How many horses have grown?
- Being a valuer of traditions, I prefer to deal only with Kazakh Karabairs. For 15 years I have been breeding these amazing animals.
- And how many of them?
- Lot. Kazakhs do not like to count the horses, – Daniyar smiled. – Why exactly Karabairs? Firstly, it is an original Kazakh breed, which was transmitted to us from our ancestors, they fought and roamed, the horse was for them and transport, and food: koumys is the best drink in the world! In general, the Kazakh horses are divided into two branches: a Karabair is a large and tall race horse, and a small, slightly unsightly – this breed is well suited for meat, and has no riding qualities.
- Tell us a little about the history of the Kazakh Karabaire.
First of all, this breed is the progenitor of all race horses in the world! By the way, most recently, just seven years ago, excavations took place at the Botai settlement in the Kokshetau area.
The archaeological site of Botai was discovered in 1980. The excavations are located in the south of North Kazakhstan region in Aiyrtau area. The area of settlement is 15 hectares. About 133 thousand horse bones were found, which differed from the bones of other ancient animals. Scientists came to the conclusion that the Botai horse was domesticated about 5,000 years ago. In the academic journal Science about the phenomenon of Botai, an article was published by British scientists from Exeter and Bristol universities. It is on these excavations that the age of Kazakh horses was confirmed – 5,000 years old! By the way, these facts have been confirmed by English scientists. On the excavations of Botai, they found tall and large horses, which confirms that the Kazakh horse has been tall, fast, and racing horse for centuries. The tallest Karabair known to me was 178 cm at the withers – it is a very large horse. Mostly on such horses went khans. All these facts mean that our horses are the ancestors of all modern breeds. But if we proceed at least from the exterior of the horse, then, for example, the English racing horse and Kazakh Karabair are completely different from each other.
- English racing horse is a breed of thoroughbred riding horses, bred in England. But even the name of this breed is already wrong! What does purebred mean? Purebred breeds are ancient breeds of horses, for the creation, improvement and reproduction of which other breeds are not used. The island Englishmen brought their horses 300 years ago. All English racing breed is descended from three stallions: Darley Arabian, Godolfin Berber and Beverly Turk. The last two, you can not even take into account, because their blood in this breed is only 5 percent, the other 95 belong to the Arabian horse Darley Arabian.
Now let’s look at the name. Why Darley? Because it was Captain Darley who brought the horse to England. Why Arabian? Because the horse was bought in an Arab country, in Damascus. Damascus is the final stop of the entire Great Silk Road, and as you know, most of the Great Silk Road passes through Kazakhstan.
- But this is not still proving the kazakh origin of English breed….
- True, but let’s go deep into the history. As is known, horses from Bukhara were brought to Damascus. It should be noted that all Arab countries are very sandy, and it is impossible to grow horses in the sand. To care yes, it is quite possible, on condition of constant purchase of hay and erection of places of detention, but cultivation, and yes even mass, no, it is impossible. Any Arab will tell you this.
Horse delivery to Bukhara has always been only Kazakh. Horses in those days were supplied only by the Kazakhs, namely the Naimans. They bred the best horses. In Kazakh, there are even two concepts related to this: the Naiman saddle and the Naiman horse. These concepts can be interpreted as the bestof the best. English purebred breed is only 300 years old, for breeding this is not the time. In particular, when there is evidence of 5000-year-old Kazakh breeding. The same story with the Akhal-Teke breed, it definitely originated from our racing horses. What is Ahalteke? Let’s look at the words: Akhal is a small district stretching along the northern foot of Kopet-Dag from Bakharden to Artyk, it was inhabited by the Teke clan. But where did they get these horses from, if the whole territory of Turkmenistan is continuous sand – the Karakum? Once again, horses were brought from Kazakh lands. So, I would argue with the origin of the Arab, and Akhal-Teke, and English purebred breeds.
breeds in local competitions in the East Kazakhstan region
- Due to the steppe and mountain conditions, the lands of Kazakhstan are ideally suited for herd breeding of horses, which is an integral part of popular breeding.
What is the Kazakh national selection? – Daniyar asks. – This is not just herd content – it is a constant competition in baiga, kokpar, this is nomading and hunting with dogs and birds. The strongest horses come out of the herd. Foal after birth immediately rises to his feet. If it does not rise, either other horses will trap it, or wolves will eat it. Who stood up – he survived. The foal throughout its maturation will rise and descend from the mountains, in slush and heat, day and night, it must quickly keep up with other horses. A foal that does not ripen is a weak link, it dies, only the strongest representatives remain. This is the national selection.
- Daniyar, and when the foals begin to walk around?
- In my opinion, such a hunt is the most humane, we catch the weak, and they fall out of the chain, and the strong leave the offspring. With dogs, on horseback, I hunt for ten years. And for ten years of such hunting animals: foxes, hares, teke, have become very cunning, very fast! We are engaged not only in hunting, but also in the selection of wild fauna.
- And how is the hunt in the saddle?
- Personally, I hunt only with a tobet and tazys, in my account they are most suitable for the Kazakh hunt on horseback. The horse itself should be easy, with a good move. For example, Karabair has a wide course, and in the obligatory order zhorga – amble and zhortak – trope. In this case, neither the rider nor the horse will not get tired at long crossings. In addition, the Karabair sees well at night, hearing is much better than that of other horses – this is due to herd keeping on spacious pastures.
- Most often hunting animals have a certain specialization, is a Karabair a horse for forest, mountain or steppe hunting?
This is a universal horse! Dogs have differences, they need to be specially trained in the specifics of hunting in the forest, in the mountains. If in the forest there is mainly ambush hunting, then in the steppe this is persecution. But our horses are ideal for any hunt, as they are brought up in the herd during the migrations, they are able to work both in the steppe and in the mountain forest.